Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Chapter 1

Chapter 1 discussed many topics including the appearance of digital students, International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) and its National Education Technology Standards (NETS) and Performance Indicators for Teachers. According to Apple Computer a digital student is a child that uses multiple tools to communicate, is a multitasker that does several things at once with ease, and that is goal oriented as they attempt various things at the simultaneously. John M. Keller's ARCS Motivational Model helps you to think of ways to use technology to improve teaching techniques and strategies because he believes that students only learn when they are motivated. He thinks many students are only performing to pass the test and because of this retention isn't likely. The ISTE is a "nonprofit group that promotes the use of technology to support and improve teaching and learning". They have participated in developing NETS for the National Council for Accreditation for Teacher Education (NCATE) which is "the official body for accrediting teacher education programs". The ISTE has standards for teachers, students, and administrators that are designed to use technology to get better results. There are six NETS and performance indicators that all classroom teachers should be prepared to meet. They should be able incorporate technology into all of the following: understanding technology concepts and operations, planning and designing learning experiences and environments, enhancement of student learning, effective assessment and evaluation strategies,enhancement of productivity and professional practice, and understanding social, ethical, legal and human issues surrounding its use in PK-12 schools and apply it to practice.
I a few skills since the last time I posted a blog. I think the most relevant one came when creating the first word document because it allowed me to practice creating a quiz. Since I plan on working with pre-k I won't be able to use words but I could use pictures or something. I never thought of putting a footer on the bottom of the page but it could be useful in many ways. For example, it could be a quick reference for when the quiz was given or what subject it was, etc.
I don't really have anything that I wanted to share or discuss. As I stated, my major is early childhood education. I'm not sure what type of school I want to teach in. I would rather teach pre-k4 or kindergarten and I don't really want to teach in the public school system. I don't really want to teach in the private school system either. I think I may work in a public school to get by and gain experience until I get my masters but my ultimate goal is to open my own school one day.

No comments: